ATi First Aid Supplies complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Commonwealth). This policy describes how ATi First Aid Supplies collects, manages, uses, discloses, protects, and disposes of personal information in accordance with the thirteen Australian Privacy Principles (APPs) outlined in Schedule 1 of the Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012.
Under the Privacy Act 1988 and Privacy Amendment (Enhancing Privacy Protection) Act 2012 (s6(1)), personal and sensitive information is defined as follows:
- Personal information: “information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable: (a) whether the information or opinion is true or not; and (b) whether the information or opinion is recorded in a material form or not.”
- Sensitive information: “(a) information or an opinion about an individual’s: (i) racial or ethnic origin, or (ii) political opinions, or (iii) membership of a political association, or (iv) religious beliefs or affiliations, or (v) philosophical beliefs, or (vi) membership of a professional or trade association, or (vii) membership of a trade union, or (viii) sexual preferences or practices, or (ix) criminal record, that is also personal information; or (b) health information about an individual; or (c) genetic information about an individual that is not otherwise health information; or (d) biometric information that is to be used for the purposes of automated biometric verification or biometric identification; or (e) biometric templates”.
Collection and use
ATi First Aid Supplies collects personal information, either directly or indirectly, that is reasonably necessary for, or directly related to its delivery of the services it offers. Some of the information collected may be regarded as ‘sensitive’ as defined by the Privacy Act. In broad terms the kinds of personal information and purposes for which it is collected are:
- Contact information such as name, organisation, position, address, telephone, and email are collected for marketing, support services, mandatory reporting and for communicating with stakeholders as part of our day to day operation.
- Names, addresses, phone numbers, emergency contact details, bank account details and other employment related information is collected from employees for the purpose of managing human resources. The management of staff personal information complies with this policy.
ATi First Aid Supplies respects an individual’s right not to receive marketing material, and provides an option within communications and on its website for individuals to unsubscribe from receiving marketing material. ATi First Aid Supplies conducts its marketing communications and dissemination of service information in accordance with Australian Privacy Principle 7 (Direct marketing), the Spam Act 2003 (in respect of electronic communications), and the Do Not Call Register Act 2006. It is not, however, ATi First Aid Supplies’s practice to ‘cold call’ for the purpose of marketing its products and services.
Google Analytics and cookies
ATi First Aid Supplies web servers automatically log information such as server address, date and time of visit and web pages accessed. No personal information is recorded. These logs are used for website management and improvement.
Unsolicited personal information
If ATi First Aid Supplies should receive unsolicited personal information, it will be treated and managed according to the Australian Privacy Principles.
Notification of collection
ATi First Aid Supplies aims to notify individuals of the collection of their personal information before, or at the time of collection, or as quickly as possible thereafter. Notifications are usually in writing, but may be verbal for telephone help-desk services, or research conducted by telephone interview.
- Marketing– notification is provided on our website course application page. Individuals are also notified at the time of collecting personal information for events. A privacy notice is provided in all ATi First Aid Supplies marketing communications.
Disclosure of personal information
ATi First Aid Supplies does not disclose personal information other than for the purpose for which it was collected, or an individual has consented to a secondary purpose, or an individual would reasonably expect this (such as receiving communications about upcoming events), or if required by law.
ATi First Aid Supplies may share personal information with the Commonwealth government in accordance with Commonwealth contractual obligations. In these circumstances ATi First Aid Supplies will take reasonable steps to inform and seek consent from the individuals concerned and take all reasonable steps to ensure that the recipient handles the personal information according to the APPs.
ATi First Aid Supplies does not sell its mailing lists to third-parties for marketing purposes.
ATi First Aid Supplies does not disclose personal information to overseas recipients. While people around the world can access material published on our website, no statistical or research publications contain identifiable personal information.
Management of personal information
ATi First Aid Supplies endeavours to ensure the personal information it collects and uses or discloses is accurate, up to date, complete and relevant. Australian Training Institute routinely updates the information held in its customer relationship management system. In addition to periodically checking with stakeholders if their personal contact details have changed.
Access to and correction of personal information
Individuals may, subject to the exceptions prescribed by the Australian Privacy Principles, request access to and correction of their personal information where this is collected directly from individuals by ATi First Aid Supplies.
ATi First Aid Supplies does not charge for giving access to or for correcting personal information.
Requests for access to or correction of personal information should be made in writing. Requests will be answered within 14 business days.
Information retention and disposal
Personal information is held in electronic and paper format:
- Information collected from website is held in a database.
- Names and contact details collected during the delivery of services may be held either in electronic form in ATi First Aid Supplies’ document management system or in paper documents which are locked in cupboards and filing cabinets.
- Backup copies of all electronic files held in ATi First Aid Supplies’ systems are kept in the event of system failure/loss. All backup copies of system files are secured.
When personal information is no longer necessary for ATi First Aid Supplies’ business functions, and it is lawful to do so, ATi First Aid Supplies will destroy the information.
ATi First Aid Supplies takes active steps to protect personal information from misuse, interference and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
- ATi First Aid Supplies’ systems and internal network are protected from unauthorised access using appropriate technologies. Most system data transferred over the internet is protected by Secure Socket Level protocol (SSL). The inherent risks associated with data transmission over the internet are, however, commonly acknowledged. Individuals, who do not wish to provide their personal information via the online website forms have the option of mailing this information to ATi First Aid Supplies.
- Access to systems are protected through user log-on and password, and assignment of user access rights.
- Third-party providers used by ATi First Aid Supplies for the delivery of services are all located within Australia and are required to be compliant with the Australian Privacy Principles and offer appropriate safeguards to protect personal information.
- ATi First Aid Supplies’ premises and data storage systems are fully secured. ATi First Aid Supplies practices clean-desk policy and locking workstations when working with personal information. Paper documents containing names and addresses are required to be locked away and shredded when destroyed. All hardware is properly ‘sanitised’ before disposal.
Complaints and concerns
Complaints or concerns about ATi First Aid Supplies’ management of personal information should be directed in writing to ATi First Aid Supplies’ Chief Executive Officer. ATi First Aid Supplies will respond in writing within 14 business days.